Friday, March 8, 2013

My Favorite Character

   The one character that has stuck out the most for me while reading is Sam Roth in Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.  At first Sam was a someone who was just scared for the future because of his past.  For example, Sam souldn't even look at a bathtub without being terrified.  Sam's parents had harmed in their bathtup trying to get the "devil" out of him after seeing him change into a werewolf.  This really jumstarted Sam's sadness.  Sam never meant to be a werewolf and that really defined him as a person. He was just somebody who seemed lost and scared.  Grace, Sam's girfriend, made a great comparison to him,“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again."  This did change though. At the end of the book Sam stood up and didn't let his past hold him down.  When Sam sees Beck, basically his adopted father, bring kids who he changed into werewolves so their pack would still be alive after Sam and Beck stopped changing Sam doesn't back down.  Grace always told Sam that she could see the sadness in his eyes, but at that moment Sam was just fierce.  He stood up against Beck and told him that this was completely wrong. For Sam is was terribly hard because Beck was his father after his Sam actual parents betrayed him.  Sam wasn't scared anymore. He was strong and believed in himself really changing what people perceived of him. I think this is why i can relate to Sam. There's always those things that get me scared in life and I avoid them and that doesn't bode well for myself.  Sam changed into a person who didn't let his past define him and that's something that I can look upon and really admire.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Job Preethi! This is a really good blog post. You really showed how you can relate to the character and how others can too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work, Preethi. Nice job on the design of the blog. You really show how you know your characters very well.

    ReplyDelete